Jens Castrop: Balancing Aggression and Discipline Ahead of World Cup
Jens Castrop knows exactly what the world thinks when it looks at his stats.
Two red cards this season. Eleven yellows in 25 games last year in Germany’s second tier. A reputation that has started to travel faster than his passes.
Yet as the World Cup looms and a likely call-up from Korea edges closer, the Korean German midfielder is adamant: the aggression stays, the recklessness goes.
A season cut short, a spotlight intensified
Castrop’s club campaign with Borussia Mönchengladbach is already over. A direct red card at the weekend for a crunching challenge on VfL Wolfsburg’s Sael Kumbedi brought a three-match suspension, wiping out the final stretch of the Bundesliga season for him.
It was his second straight dismissal of the year. For some, a pattern. For Castrop, a storm he believes has been overstated.
“I don't really think that it's an issue,” he told Korean reporters in a video conference from Germany on Wednesday evening. “Of course, it's my play style. I'm an aggressive player; I like to win the ball. I like to give 100 percent in the drills.”
He has never shied away from contact. Last season in the 2. Bundesliga, he collected 11 yellow cards in 25 matches, tied for the third-highest total in the league. That kind of tally usually comes with a label: enforcer, destroyer, liability. Sometimes all three.
Learning from one red, disputing the other
Castrop is not blind to his own excesses. His first direct red of the current season, against Bayern Munich on Oct. 25, still stings.
He admitted he had been “too late” with the tackle and called it “my mistake.” No excuses, no debate.
The most recent incident, though, is different in his eyes.
“I think we can all agree that the second red card that I got in the last match was not a red card, just a regular yellow one. Nobody got injured. It wasn't a bad foul,” he said.
The moment came in the 92nd minute, with his team clinging to what they felt was a precious point. Adrenaline high, stakes higher.
“I think I had my emotions under control. We needed that one point, and in the 92nd minute, I would not let my opponent cross free without pressure or without me trying to hold him back. So that's why I tackled him, and I think it was the right decision, even though I got the red card.”
The whistle blew, the card came out, and his season ended. The debate, though, is clearly still alive in his mind.
World Cup dream, clear warning to himself
Now comes the pivot from club to country. Castrop has earned five caps under head coach Hong Myung-bo since last fall and is widely expected to be named in Korea’s World Cup squad on May 16.
The stakes in June and July will be very different. So will the margin for error.
“I know that it can be very stupid to get a red card in an important game at the World Cup,” he said. “So this is something that will not happen.”
That line was not delivered as a throwaway. It sounded like a promise, perhaps even a warning to himself as much as a message to fans and coaches.
He wants to keep the bite, lose the rashness. The World Cup, he knows, is not the place to test referees’ tolerance.
A forced break that might help
His suspension has created an unusual situation: while his teammates finish the grind of the Bundesliga season, Castrop is on the sidelines, healing.
He admitted that the layoff might come with an unexpected upside. The midfielder has been managing nagging issues in his feet, back and knees. The enforced rest, he suggested, could leave him fresher for national duty if Hong includes him in the final squad.
The timing is awkward for his club career. For his World Cup hopes, it might be perfect.
Playing for his mother’s country
For Castrop, this is not just another international tournament. Born to a Korean mother and a German father, he speaks about representing Korea with a sense of weight and pride.
“I think the World Cup is the biggest tournament in world football, so it always is the dream for every player to participate in the World Cup. So if I get called up, I will be very honored and proud to play my first World Cup,” he said.
“Of course, I have big expectations. I want Korea to be as successful as possible. I want to help the team, and I want to play a good World Cup on this big stage. I have big dreams and big hopes for this World Cup.”
The personal ambition is obvious. So is the awareness of the collective challenge.
“But first of all, the most important part is that our players stay in good condition,” he continued. “We have to face some difficulties, and we need to stay strong and stick together as a team if we want to be successful. So this is the No. 1 priority.”
An aggressive midfielder, a fiery reputation, a World Cup on the horizon. If Hong Myung-bo calls his name on May 16, Jens Castrop will arrive with scars, questions and a point to prove.
The next card he shows the world will not be in a referee’s hand, but in how he controls that edge on football’s biggest stage.



