sportnews full logo

Jamal Musiala's Health Update: Managing Absence Seizures

Jamal Musiala has revealed he is living with treatable absence seizures after collapsing on the pitch for the second time in four days – but insists there is no long-term threat to his health or his career.

The Bayern Munich midfielder went down just eight minutes after coming on as a substitute in Tuesday night’s friendly against FC Heidenheim, echoing a similar collapse in Saturday’s warm-up match against RB Leipzig. Both incidents sent a jolt through Bayern and Germany supporters who watched one of European football’s brightest talents suddenly crumple to the turf.

On Wednesday, Musiala chose to confront the fear head-on.

Musiala explains diagnosis

Posting on Instagram, the 23-year-old set out clearly what he is dealing with and why he intends to keep playing.

"I understand that many of you are worried. I would like to put those concerns to rest today and explain the situation: I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary -- but treatable -- absence seizures resulting from a neurological dysfunction," he wrote.

"These can lead to the kind of incidents seen recently, such as during the match against Leipzig or the game in Heidenheim.

"I know they might look alarming at first glance, but for me, they are currently part of my everyday life. I am receiving excellent medical care and remain very optimistic. FC Bayern and my personal support network are right by my side, helping me through this."

The episodes, short and shocking, had sparked immediate questions over why Musiala was back on the field so soon after the first collapse against Leipzig. Bayern sporting director Max Eberl addressed that concern after the Heidenheim game, stressing that the club had not been caught by surprise.

He said the situation was known internally and that Musiala himself would explain it publicly, adding, "we knew about it and we are aware of the situation."

No further health risk

Musiala underlined that message, making it clear that specialists have given him the green light to continue his career.

"Importantly, there is no further health risk involved," he said. "In close consultation and regular contact with the experts, it was my personal wish to face this challenge; with the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football.

"I have taken full responsibility for this decision. Overall, I feel very positive and am on the right track."

He also admitted he had hoped to keep the matter away from the public glare.

Musiala said it had been his "wish to keep this matter private, sharing it only with my closest circle, the club, and the medical experts," before the visible nature of the incidents forced a different approach.

Another hurdle in a brutal stretch

The diagnosis is the latest test in what has already been a demanding period for the playmaker.

Musiala suffered a broken leg last summer during Bayern’s match against Paris Saint-Germain in the Club World Cup, a serious setback that ruled him out for months. He returned at the start of 2026 in the Bundesliga and quickly regained his influence, re-establishing himself as a central figure in Bayern’s attack.

His comeback gathered pace on the international stage. At the 2026 World Cup, he was a key player for Julien Nagelsmann’s Germany side, carrying creative responsibility and expectation in equal measure before the team were stunned by Paraguay in the round of 32.

Now comes a different kind of challenge: not a tackle or a fracture, but a neurological condition he must manage while the football world watches. Musiala has made his stance plain. He wants to keep playing, with doctors’ backing and Bayern’s support.

The next question is not whether he is willing to fight through it. It is how far he can still push his game while doing so.