sportnews full logo

Antonio Conte's Future Amid Napoli's Success

Antonio Conte walked out of San Siro with three points and a familiar storm circling overhead. Napoli had just beaten AC Milan 1-0 on Monday night, yet the questions were not about tactics, substitutions or title races. They were about his future. Again.

The Napoli coach, long linked with a return to the Nazionale, treated the noise with a shrug that comes only from years spent in the hottest seats in Italian football.

“Let us not forget that last year, in the final three months of the season, there was talk in the media that I would leave Napoli to go to Juventus, right?” Conte reminded reporters, as quoted by Football Italia. The message was clear: this is not new, and it will not knock him off course.

“The media has to write something, and it is only right that my name appears as part of that list. If I was the FIGC President, I would take me into consideration along with others. For many reasons, I would put Conte in that list.”

It was classic Conte: unapologetically self-assured, but rooted in the reality of his record. He knows what he has done with club and country. He also knows that when the Azzurri bench wobbles, his name is one of the first thrown into the air.

Conte is heading into the final year of his contract with Napoli. That alone is enough to fuel speculation, yet he underlined that no decision has been made and no line has been drawn under his time in Naples.

“I have already worked with the Nazionale and I know the environment. I am flattered, because representing your country is something wonderful,” he said. “You all know full well that I have a year left on my contract with Napoli and that at the end of the season I will sit down with the president to discuss it.”

So the timetable is set. Napoli now, talks later. Until then, the debate over Italy’s next move rages on around him.

Conte’s words, though, went beyond his own future. Italy’s slide since their Euro 2020 triumph hangs over every conversation about the national team, and he did not pretend that a simple change of coach would magically restore the old order.

The former Italy boss pointed to the brutal nature of international football, where a single moment can flip the narrative from disaster to glory.

“It’s disappointing that if we had won that penalty shoot-out with Bosnia and qualified for the World Cup, people would’ve talked about a great achievement and Italy playing great football,” he reflected. “Unfortunately, only the results count in this sport now.”

The frustration runs deeper than one missed tournament. For Conte, three consecutive World Cups without Italy signal a structural problem, not a coaching carousel.

“After three World Cups in a row, however, something serious needs to be done,” he said. “When I was coach, there was a lot of talk, but I got very little help from the clubs.”

That line cuts to the heart of the long-running tension in Italian football: the uneasy relationship between club priorities and the needs of the Nazionale. Conte has lived that battle from the inside. He has not forgotten.

“Now everything is seen as a disaster, but even in disasters, there is always something that can be salvaged.”

It was a stark assessment, but not a hopeless one. Conte sees a national game in crisis, yet still believes there is value to be rescued from the wreckage — if those in power are willing to act.

Whether he is the man leading Italy out of that crisis, or staying on the Napoli bench to chase club honours, will be decided when the season’s dust settles and that promised meeting with the president finally takes place.