sportnews full logo

Mohamed Salah's Injury Update: Minor Setback for Liverpool's Star

Anfield held its breath on April 25.

Mohamed Salah, Liverpool’s relentless talisman for nearly a decade, walked off in the 59th minute of a 3-1 win, clapped all four corners of the ground, then vanished down the tunnel. The applause felt too heavy, too final. The whispers started immediately: hamstring gone, season over, Liverpool chapter closed.

Not yet.

From fear of the worst to a crucial reprieve

Liverpool have moved to calm the panic. The club confirmed that Salah’s problem is a minor muscle injury, not the catastrophic blow many inside Anfield had feared.

The key line: he is expected to play again before the end of the season.

That single update changes everything. It keeps alive the possibility of one last competitive act in front of the Kop before his anticipated departure this summer, and it injects belief into a squad still fighting for a place in next season’s Champions League.

The statement also underlined the wider context: Salah is still on course to leave at the end of the campaign, with his return pencilled in before the curtain finally falls on his Liverpool career.

Van Dijk never doubted him

Inside the dressing room, there was always a different kind of conviction. Virgil van Dijk had already voiced his faith that Salah would force his way back before the season’s end.

“Knowing Mo he is a quick healer with the right people around us and let’s see,” the Liverpool captain said after the win over Crystal Palace, leaning on years of watching Salah grind through knocks and setbacks.

Van Dijk admitted the mood at Anfield that night was thick with emotion. An injury at this stage, for a player with only two home games left and an exit looming, felt like a brutal twist.

“If you get injured at this stage of the season, especially in the situation he is in, there is only two more home games left for him. It’s a combination of feelings that go through your mind when you go off,” he said.

The ovation, the slow walk, the glances to every stand – it all looked like goodbye. Now it might only have been a pause.

Liverpool’s run-in without their main man

Arne Slot’s side still have to live without Salah in the short term. The schedule offers no kindness.

The Egypt captain is almost certain to miss the trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United and the home clash with Chelsea on May 9. Those are not the games any manager wants to tackle without a forward who has scored 257 goals for the club.

Liverpool’s remaining fixtures include high-pressure meetings with Aston Villa and Brentford, matches that will help decide whether this season ends with Champions League football secured or with regrets.

That final-day game against Brentford, already significant, now carries an extra charge. It is being quietly circled as the ideal stage for Salah’s official farewell in front of a home crowd, if his recovery stays on track and Liverpool’s medical team clear him to return.

One last Anfield roar. One last left-footed strike. That is the vision driving his comeback.

The next chapter waits

While the medical team focus on getting him back for that closing act, the rest of the football world is looking beyond it.

Salah has already made his intention clear: he will seek a new challenge after being released from the final year of his contract. The clock is ticking on an official announcement.

According to Egyptian national team media coordinator Muhammad Murad, the forward is only days away from revealing his next destination. Saudi Pro League money is on the table. Italy and France are also in the frame. Each option offers a different kind of spotlight, a different kind of legacy.

For now, though, the story is not quite finished at Anfield.

The injury that looked like the end has been downgraded to a delay. The farewell tour may yet have one last, thunderous chapter – and if Salah does step out in red one more time, how does he choose to sign off nine years that changed Liverpool’s modern history?