Manchester United Lead Race for Edmond Tapsoba Amidst Premier League Interest
Manchester United have surged to the front of the queue for Bayer Leverkusen defender Edmond Tapsoba, edging ahead of Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United in one of the window’s most intriguing defensive chases.
United move to the front
German outlet Fussball Daten revealed earlier this week that all three Premier League clubs had made contact with Tapsoba’s representatives, laying the groundwork for a possible summer move. The 27-year-old, a cornerstone of Leverkusen’s Bundesliga-winning back line, has long been viewed as one of the most complete centre-backs in Germany.
By Thursday, the landscape had shifted. TEAMtalk reported that Manchester United are now “leading the race”, with talks between the club and the player’s camp described as the “most advanced” so far. Spurs and Newcastle remain in the conversation, but United have accelerated.
All three sides have opened dialogue with Tapsoba’s entourage, yet Leverkusen’s stance is clear. The German champions have set a firm valuation of €50m (£42.8m / $58.4m) for their key defender. They would rather keep him – he signed a contract extension running to 2031 earlier this year – but the door is open if someone meets the price.
Inside Leverkusen, Tapsoba is seen as the modern centre-back prototype: strong in duels, comfortable building from the back, and athletic enough to patrol huge spaces. That profile explains why Premier League clubs are circling, and why United, under scrutiny for their recruitment at the back, are pushing hardest.
INEOS under pressure to act
United’s summer has already had a clear midfield and full-back focus. They are working to finalise a deal for Brighton’s Carlos Baleba and are also tracking options at left-back.
But the pressure is building in the heart of defence.
INEOS may have to arm Michael Carrick with a new centre-half amid ongoing concern over Matthijs de Ligt’s long-term fitness. On top of that, the club must plan for the possible exit of 33-year-old Harry Maguire at the end of the season. Strip those two out and United’s central defensive core suddenly looks thin and familiar – too familiar for a team trying to reset its identity.
Landing a title-winning Bundesliga centre-back like Tapsoba would go some way to silencing criticism of United’s defensive recruitment. It would also mark a clear break from the perception that the club are standing still while rivals refresh and upgrade.
“Miles off it” – O’Hara slams United backing
That perception was laid bare this week by Jamie O’Hara on Sky Sports. The former Spurs midfielder did not hold back when assessing the backing Carrick has received.
“I think it’s a disgrace what they’ve done to Carrick,” he said. “They’ve brought him in. They’ve said, ‘We’re going to back you’. They gave him the opportunity. He [has] done a fantastic job last season to get them back in the Champions League, and they’ve given him two players.
“Youri Tielemans is alright. Great signing. And Andrey Santos, who’s, you know… we’re not convinced that he’s even a decent player yet.
“Manchester United are miles off it, and we’re talking about them being in the Champions League.
“They’ve got the same back four they had maybe three or four years ago.
“Luke Shaw is going to have another season at left-back. Fair play to him. Harry Maguire at centre-back. Come on.
“Like, we’re talking about Manchester United. They’re meant to be trying to get back amongst it.”
That is the backdrop to the Tapsoba pursuit. United insist they will modernise the squad; critics argue the defence still looks like a relic of previous regimes. A €50m move for one of the Bundesliga’s standout centre-backs would not fix everything, but it would be a statement that the club are finally prepared to reshape the spine rather than simply patch it.
Now the question is simple: do United turn advanced talks into a decisive bid before Spurs or Newcastle test Leverkusen’s resolve?



