FIFA Removes COO Kevin Lamour After Criticism of Infantino’s World Cup Investment Plan
FIFA has parted ways with its Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, after he openly criticized President Gianni Infantino's contentious plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to private investors.
Internal Conflict Sparks Executive Departure
The leadership at FIFA was shaken by the sudden exit of Lamour, whose relationship with Infantino deteriorated sharply. The announcement came on August 17, 2026, shortly after Lamour publicly condemned what was known as the FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) project, a scheme aimed at reshaping how the World Cup is financed and managed.
A spokesperson for FIFA said: "FIFA confirms that the working relationship with Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer ended on 17 August 2026. We thank him for his two years of service and wish him well. No further comments will be made."
Allegations of Deception Over World Cup Plans
The fallout began when Lamour spoke to the Associated Press in late July, raising serious concerns about the FFE initiative. He accused Infantino of misleading the organisation's staff regarding the deal's effects.
"It is the project of one person. Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions," Lamour told the AP.
This public challenge put Lamour at odds with Infantino and created an unsustainable situation within the executive ranks. Lamour acknowledged the risks involved, stating: "If that means I lose my job, then so be it."
Collapse of $4.2 Billion Investment Deal
The controversy centered around a huge financial proposal that would have significantly changed football’s global governance. In July, FIFA announced plans to sell a 20% stake in a new commercial entity responsible for major events like the World Cup and Club World Cups. This move would have allowed private investors partial ownership.
The proposal faced intense opposition from stakeholders worried about losing control over football’s flagship event, ultimately leading to its cancellation. Still, the internal turmoil at FIFA had already taken its toll.
End of a Long-Standing Professional Partnership
Lamour was a seasoned figure in football administration, having worked closely with Infantino during their UEFA days. Starting with the European federation in 2007, he rose to deputy general secretary before joining FIFA as COO in November 2024.
During his tenure, he handled complex stakeholder relations and oversaw several major infrastructure projects. His departure marks the end of nearly twenty years of collaboration between the two men at football’s highest levels.
The news was shared internally by Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom via email, who emphasized that the decision followed careful thought and expressed appreciation for Lamour's contributions to daily operations.




