York City Football League Homecoming Parade Set for Celebration
York City will finally get the homecoming they craved.
After days of uncertainty and frustration, the club’s promotion parade has been cleared to roll through the city on Thursday night, turning the streets into a celebration of their long-awaited return to the Football League.
Luke Charters, MP for York Outer, was among those pushing hardest for the event to go ahead after North Yorkshire Police initially blocked the plans on safety grounds. When the decision was reversed, his reaction captured the mood of a city itching to celebrate.
“Common sense has prevailed,” he said, calling it “fantastic news” that the open-top bus parade will go ahead. For a fanbase that has endured years in the wilderness, it will feel like vindication.
Charters described it as “absolutely right” that players, staff and supporters are given the chance to mark what he called a “brilliant season” and a “historic return to the Football League.” He said he had been working with the club and local partners since promotion was secured to help make the parade possible, and praised the way different groups had “pulled together to deliver a real moment for the city.”
York has wrapped itself around this team all season. On Thursday, that backing spills onto the streets.
Hundreds are expected to line the route as the bus pulls away from outside York Art Gallery in St Leonards Place at 7pm. From there it will snake along some of the city’s best-known roads – Museum Street, Station Road, Rougier Street, George Hudson Street and Clifford Street – before arriving at the Eye of York between 7.45pm and 8pm.
City of York Council has urged supporters to think carefully about how they travel. With road closures in place along the route, people are being strongly advised not to drive into the city centre. Fans are being asked to walk where possible and to watch the parade “as close to home as possible” to ease congestion.
There will still be parking options for those who need them. Car parks around the city remain open, with St George’s Field Car Park serving those heading towards the Eye of York. Castle Car Park will be reserved for blue badge holders only.
The council is also drawing a firm line on safety. Flares, pyrotechnics and similar items are “strictly prohibited” because of the risk of injury and serious health issues. Drones are banned along the route as well, with any unauthorised devices set to be removed.
The message is clear: bring noise, colour and pride. Leave the rest at home.
For York City, this parade is more than a lap of honour. It is a statement that the club is back where it believes it belongs – and that the city intends to enjoy every second of the journey.




