Yankuba Minteh's Transfer Saga: Liverpool's Pursuit Intensifies
Yankuba Minteh has told both his representatives and Brighton he wants Anfield – and he wants it this summer.
Liverpool have already seen two bids pushed back for the electric winger, but the direction of travel is clear. The player is in, Brighton look resigned, and the gap in valuation is shrinking fast.
Liverpool turn the screw for Minteh
Liverpool’s recruitment team are reshaping Andoni Iraola’s forward line with an aggressive tilt towards wide firepower. Talks with Paris Saint-Germain over Bradley Barcola are progressing, Victor Munoz is already through the door, and now Minteh has become the third winger on the summer wish list.
The 22-year-old Gambian has been tracked by Liverpool for some time. On July 8, transfer reporter Fraser Fletcher revealed the club were preparing a major bid, and they have followed through.
An opening £50m offer was rejected. A second proposal, worth £60m (€70m, $82m), has also been turned down. Brighton are holding firm, but not unreasonably so.
Their valuation sits at around £70m, according to widespread reports. Daily Mail journalist Lewis Steele, posting on X, suggested a compromise could be struck at roughly £66m. If that figure is accurate, Liverpool are now just £6m away from Brighton’s asking price.
For the Seagulls, it would be a textbook piece of business: doubling the £33m they paid Newcastle only two summers ago for a player who has scored 10 times in 73 appearances. For Liverpool, it would be a sizeable outlay on a winger they believe can add chaos and cutting edge to a front line already packed with talent.
Brighton prepare for life after Minteh
The pressure on Brighton to sell is not just financial. It is structural.
The club’s model is clear and unapologetic: identify talent, develop it, sell at a premium, repeat. Minteh fits that cycle perfectly, and the club have already moved to secure his successor.
Nigerian prospect Zadok Yohanna has arrived from AIK in a £21.5m deal this summer, a signing that looks increasingly like succession planning rather than squad padding.
Head coach Fabian Hurzeler sounded like a man who knows what is coming when he addressed the situation on Friday.
“It’s normal if you’re successful as a team, if the team is doing well, has some good achievements, then the individual can shine, and of course, there will be a big ask for our players,” he said.
“That’s part of our identity, part of my job here.
“It was clear to everyone that this might happen during a busy transfer window.
“We can go through now every individual player; we all know how important these kinds of players are for me.
“But we also know that good achievements, big achievements, especially in the Premier League, you create offers, you create a lot of attention.
“So we have to wait now; the situation will evolve.
“I’m not here to complain, I’m here to find solutions, and I’m convinced that, together with my players, we will find good solutions.”
Those are not the words of a manager expecting to slam the door shut. They are the words of a coach already adjusting to the idea of life without one of his most exciting attackers.
Anfield calling, PSG target cooling
Minteh’s own stance only pushes the deal in one direction. He has made it clear he wants the move to Merseyside, and that desire will weigh heavily as talks continue.
Liverpool, for their part, appear to be aligning their strategy around him. Their strong push for Minteh suggests plans to sign PSG teenager Ibrahim Mbaye have cooled, even as negotiations for Barcola continue.
Mbaye had been discussed internally at Anfield, but one journalist has admitted he “daren’t say” what the Senegalese youngster might cost. In a market already inflated, Liverpool seem to have decided their money is better aimed at proven, senior-level impact.
So the picture is set: a player pushing for Anfield, a selling club that has already sourced a replacement, and a fee that now feels more like a matter of fine-tuning than a chasm.
Liverpool are close. The question now is simple: do they go that extra £6m to get Minteh in red before someone else tries to crash the party?




