sportnews full logo

Real Madrid Faces Crisis After Valverde-Tchouameni Fight

On the eve of a season-defining Clásico, Real Madrid are fighting themselves.

Tension inside the Valdebebas dressing room has exploded into a full-blown crisis, with reports in Spain claiming a second violent clash between Federico Valverde and Aurelien Tchouameni ended with Valverde in hospital and an emergency meeting called by the club hierarchy.

From words to blows

The first alarm came with news of a heated confrontation in training involving Valverde and Tchouameni, just days after another altercation between Antonio Rüdiger and Álvaro Carreras. What began as arguments between teammates has now turned into something far darker.

According to MARCA, a second incident between Valverde and Tchouameni, described by dressing-room sources as “very serious”, broke out later the same day. This time, the fight escalated so sharply that teammates had to physically intervene. Valverde, a player who has worn the captain’s armband on numerous occasions, reportedly suffered a cut after taking a heavy blow.

The same report says the atmosphere had already soured in the morning session, when Valverde refused to shake Tchouameni’s hand following their initial dispute. The anger did not fade. By the end of the day’s work, it had boiled over.

El Chiringuito report that Valverde required stitches, with coach Álvaro Arbeloa accompanying him after what was described as a “heavy hit”. RMC Sport later added that Valverde briefly lost consciousness.

Crisis meeting at Valdebebas

The fallout was immediate. Real Madrid’s CEO, José Ángel Sánchez, stepped into the dressing room for what has been labelled a “crisis” meeting, with every player present. The objective was clear: stop a tense, fractured environment from completely derailing what remains of the season.

MARCA’s account paints a picture of a squad split and simmering, with at least six players said to be refusing to speak to Arbeloa. The former defender, brought in to replace Xabi Alonso, now finds himself at the centre of a storm just as Barcelona prepare to welcome Madrid to Camp Nou.

Inside the club, the tone has hardened. Sources cited in Spain insist that both Valverde and Tchouameni have been told they face the harshest possible internal sanctions. Disciplinary orders have been issued, and both incidents are now part of a formal internal investigation.

A season unraveling

All of this comes against a bleak competitive backdrop. Knocked out of the Champions League in the quarter-finals by Bayern Munich, Real Madrid are staring at a season without a major trophy. Barcelona stand 11 points clear in La Liga with four games left, and Sunday’s Clásico could mathematically finish the job.

Anything other than a Real Madrid win at Camp Nou will hand the title to Barça. The stakes were already enormous. Now, they feel existential.

This was supposed to be a transition year managed, not endured. Alonso was moved on and Arbeloa promoted, a decision framed as part of a long-term project. Instead, Real are drifting towards the end of the campaign with no silverware and a squad turning on itself.

The club can still try to salvage pride in the Clásico. But with players trading blows, leaders summoned to crisis talks, and “maximum” punishments on the way, the more pressing question is no longer about Sunday’s result.

It is what Real Madrid will look like, and who will be in charge, when next season kicks off.