sportnews full logo

Michael Carrick Reflects on Youth Cup Final Venue Disappointment

Michael Carrick knows exactly what a Youth Cup final should feel like.

He remembers the noise, the nerves, the sheer scale of it. In 1999 he walked out for West Ham in an FA Youth Cup final played, as tradition demanded, at the club’s main stadium. A proper stage for young footballers who dreamed of the next step.

So when he looks at next Thursday’s showdown between Manchester United and Manchester City being squeezed into the 6,000-seat Joie Stadium, his reaction is blunt.

He’s disappointed.

“The Youth Cup final always seems to have been a thing where you play at the main stadium,” Carrick said on Thursday. “It’s such a showcase event for players of that age group.”

This isn’t nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake. Carrick has lived the competition from every angle. As a teenager lifting the trophy. As a Manchester United player watching the next generation come through. And now as a manager and a father with a direct stake in the club’s academy.

He has barely missed a United game in this season’s competition. Two years ago he was one of 67,000 at Old Trafford when a United side featuring Kobbie Mainoo and Alejandro Garnacho swept past Nottingham Forest in the 2022 final. That night felt like an occasion, a glimpse of the future under the floodlights of the main arena.

Those memories still sit close to the surface.

“I’ve had some amazing memories in that competition of playing with your close mates,” he said. “It’s a shame it hasn’t worked out for whatever reason.”

There is another layer now. Carrick’s son, Jacey, is part of the same pathway. The youngster made his debut for United’s under-18s earlier this season, stepping into a system his father knows inside out. For families like the Carricks, the Youth Cup is not a side show. It is the heartbeat of the academy.

That is why the choice of venue has jarred with so many around the club.

The Manchester United Supporters’ Trust has already written to FA chief executive Mark Bullingham, urging a rethink and pushing for the final to be moved to a bigger, more fitting stage. The argument is simple: a tie of this magnitude between these two clubs deserves a main stadium, not a limited-capacity ground.

Carrick, though, believes the window for change has closed.

“It is what it is,” he said. “There’s nothing that can be done about it.”

He will still be there, of course. Still backing the next wave, still attached to a competition that helped shape his career and may yet shape his son’s.

“It’s a fantastic game, a great opportunity and I’m looking forward to going and supporting the boys,” he said.

The frustration lingers, but so does the hope that the decision becomes a one-off misstep rather than a new norm.

“Hopefully, in years that go by, it can be played in the [main] stadium,” Carrick added.

For a man who has seen what the Youth Cup can be, that feels less like a wish and more like a demand for English football to remember the size of its own stage.